Friday, August 19, 2011

My son and sensei

Jan, my better half and a committed teacher, sometimes gets a bit flustered when the kids, in her view, are not delivering on the promise that each of them holds. However, as usual, there's another side to the story.

Absolutely, we need to help him along. He needs to improve on his organizational skills, make sure that he completes and hands in his assignments on time and does a better job of paying attention and not provoke his teacher's ire. However knowing him as we do, none of these issues come as a huge surprise. He is a person that appreciates friendship, cordial camaraderie and, in his view, innocent banter. He is still the same boy as he's always been and now we have the obscene duty of teaching him that he must make certain compromises if he wants to fully participate in this society and live a meaningful, rewarding life to be able to enjoy all the comforts that it holds.
Welcome to the machine.
Make no mistake, once he understands what needs to be done and why, and we will succeed in that endeavour because we have no choice, we will see another person emerge. For now, I like him just the way he is. His compassion and care for all living things never seizes to amaze me. He has taught me more regarding the depth of a righteous soul then any other person, past or present and as far as I'm concerned He sits on the right side of God with jesus bringing him warm chocolate milk and chippies. We have to find a way to allow him to continue on his journey and let him become the person that he's meant to be while at the same time acquire the skills and knowledge that will help him along in the future. I know you. I refuse to believe that the end is worth you losing that what makes him so special. The issues involved are manageable, he is doing his best but it needs work, fine tuning so to say. He takes pride in his accomplishments, he loves making you happy when he gets a good mark and he's deeply hurt when, again, in his view we disapprove of him. WE need to learn also and find a way to get through to him without resorting to the usual blame and punish game. He's getting enough unnecessary shit from his sisters without us terrorizing him. He'll be OK, maybe not exactly the way we'd like it to go, but he has all the makings of a good, no, great person. Saskia will be fine and allthough I would have liked a different dynamic guiding her choices, I'm happy for her. Moriah is also coming down the pipe and I'm convinced she'll have a few surprises in store that will have us climbing the proverbial wall. We don't own our kids, they're only with us for a short while. I want to hang on to whatever goodness I can get and let that comfort the rest of my days when they're off on their own.